Tuesday 3 June 2014

My Alexander McCall Smith Book Collection

Hello, people of the blogosphere! Today's post is a little bit different to anything I've done before, but I'm going to show you one of my many collections of books, all by the one author. When I go into a bookshop to pick up a new read (something I haven't done recently because of all the lovely books I've been sent), I'm not the type of person to be adventurous and pick up a book I've never read, by an author I've never read. I tend to go for books in a series that I know and love, or by an author whom I've read before. If I have nothing to read (and this happens very rarely!) 90% of the time, I will go to an author called Alexander McCall Smith. 


Alexander McCall Smith is an author whose books I have been reading since I was 12, and have loved them ever since. He has four series of books, as well as other titles, and I am currently reading three of these four series: The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, The  44 Scotland Street series, and The Sunday Philosophy Club series. I would describe all of these books as easy to read, yet entirely engrossing and engaging, and suitable for readers of any age. Although they are adult books, I would recommend them to children of a secondary school age also, as that's when I started to read them. Alexander McCall Smith's tone is something I have not encountered with any other writer before; it is easy to read in a story-telling way, and the language is far from complex, however the way he can entice a reader and involve them in the story is astounding. These books are the type of books you cannot put down, and each one offers something new, fresh and different. 


If you are new to Alexander McCall Smith, I would recommend starting with the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency, especially if you are looking for a good but easy read, and then perhaps The Sunday Philosophy Club. The 44 Scotland Street Series I found a little more challenging to read, because the series was first published in the newspaper The Scotsman, and then made into a book. You can find all of these books in any good bookshop across the UK (and abroad!), and I would highly recommend you do go out and buy a copy, you won't regret it!

Also, I did highly enjoy looking like an idiot, taking a selfie lying on his books on my floor. This is what I do for fun. 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment