Thursday 5 June 2014

My Classics Book Collection

Hello again, you lovely beings on the Internet! Today I thought I'd give you a quick glimpse of the Classics I have on my bookshelf. Unfortunately this is not a very accurate representation- I have borrowed Classics from the library or from school, or read them for free on my Kindle! These books here are the ones I have been gifted, bought, studied at school or haven't read yet! Seriously, though, if you have a Kindle, a lot of these Classics are 100% free! Hopefully this should encourage more people to read them, because they all are very excellent stories :D

When I really want something entirely gripping and enticing to read, I pick up a Classic. There is not a single modern book I can think of that gives me the kind of excitement and powerful emotion that reading a Classic gives me. The fact that they were written a very long time ago, by amazing people who have left their mark on the modern literary world, and who have shaped the way books are today. Especially when I read a Brontë (my favourite authors!), the fact that they sometimes talk about ideas not even discussed in their time (especially women's rights) astounds me. If you want a book where you are taken on a journey so far from the modern world we live in- pick up any of these books- they are some of my favourites on my bookshelf!

Here are the books! By the way, they are not organised in any kind of order, just randomly!

The Mill on the Floss- George Eliot
Emily Brontë- Wuthering Heights
Robert Louis Stevenson- Kidnapped
Elizabeth Gaskell- Cranford
Mary Shelley- Frankenstein
Brontë (all three of them!)- Selected Letters
Elizabeth Gaskell- The Life of Charlotte Brontë
George Orwell- Nineteen Eighty-Four
Thomas Hardy- Tess of the D'Urbervilles
William Golding- Lord of the Flies
Charles Dickens- Great Expectations
Anne Brontë- Agnes Grey
Louisa May Alcott- Little Women
Mark Twain- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Jungle Books- Rudyard Kipling
Anne Brontë- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Charlotte Brontë- Villette
Harper Lee- To Kill a Mockingbird
L. Frank Baum- The Wizard of Oz
Susan Coolidge- What Katy Did At School
Robert Louis Stevenson- Treasure Island
George Orwell- Animal Farm
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Anna Sewell- Black Beauty
Frances Hodgson Burnett- A Little Princess
Susan Coolidge- What Katy Did
L. M. Montgomery- Anne of Green Gables
Charles Dickens- Oliver Twist
Eleanor H. Porter- Pollyanna
Charlotte Brontë- Jane Eyre

I hope that you have enjoyed this mini blog post. If you would like book reviews or anything from any of these books, do let me know :) Also, if you would like a tour of my many bookshelves, please also let me know!

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment