Friday 11 January 2019

BOOK REVIEW | 'Oh My Gods' by Alexandra Sheppard (****)

Hey guys and happy Friday! Today I am thrilled to be sharing with you a review of a fabulous book I read recently, that will start your new year reading off with a bang! 

Oh My Gods is a fantastic book following Helen Thomas, who is in pretty much every respect a normal teenager, spending her time hanging out with friends, texting boys and worrying about her exams. There is however, one exception: Helen's family are all Greek gods, and Helen herself is only half-human. And this doesn't come without its problems. If her family blow her cover, a dreadful fate awaits them. Will Helen's family be able to control their craziness for their own, and Helen's sake? 

Intrigued? Check out the blurb here...



Life as a half-mortal teenager should be epic. 
But, for Helen Thomas, it's tragic.

She's just moved in with her dorky dad and self-absorbed older siblings - who happen to be the ancient Greek gods, living incognito in London!

Between keeping her family's true identities secret, trying to impress her new friends, and meeting an actually cute boy, Helen's stress levels are higher than Mount Olympus.

She needs to rein in her chaotic family before they blow their cover AND her chances at a half-normal social life.


Or is Helen fated for an embarrassment of mythical proportions?

I knew right from reading the blurb that I would love this book, and I was absolutely right! First of all, the cover is fantastic and drew me right in. Whoever designed it deserves the best chocolate money can buy. And it also reflected what the book was about: Helen, and what a wonderful protagonist Helen Thomas is! She was portrayed in a brilliantly realistic way and I loved her relationship with her friends and her family. In the book she has a warm voice and gritty attitude to the lifestyle she has been lumped with. As the years go on I am so happy to see that interesting and multi-dimensional female protagonists are simply becoming the norm in YA literature. I'm glad that from now on kids will be growing up with loads of fabulous characters by their side, not just a few. Speaking of, it was so wonderfully refreshing how diverse this book was, and how diversity was an active discussion in the book. This made me very happy indeed.

The story itself was incredibly well crafted and the huge variety of characters drove the plot forward up until the fantastic ending. The twists and turns kept me hanging on until the last few chapters. Oh My Gods is a book that both at once is comforting and exciting. I'm looking forward to see what Sheppard has up her sleeve next!


Check out Alexandra Sheppard here: https://www.alexandrasheppard.com



Until next time <3


No comments:

Post a Comment