Monday 23 July 2018

300TH BLOG POST | Sharing with you my writing...

Hey guys, and happy Monday! Today I am so thrilled to be writing my 300TH BLOG POST AHHHHH!!! I cannot believe that this is actually the 300th post; it honestly doesn't feel like there have been that many. For this pretty momentous occassion, I wanted to treat you guys to something a little special, a little different, just to say thank you to all my readers who have stuck with me for this long.

So I did a cheeky little poll on both my Instagram and Twitter, and basically asked you guys what you wanted to see from my 300th post. And TERRIFYINGLY, you wanted a new YouTube video, and... to see my writing :o

Those of you who know me, or who have been following my blog for a while now, know that I have been writing from pretty much when I first learned to read, and this hobby has lasted throughout my childhood to culminate in me studying English Literature with Creative Writing at University! I graduated a couple weeks ago *omg* but honestly studying creative writing and having the opportunity to learn so many things from great writers, while also learning the discipline of writing often, has been so invaluable to me. 

So today I am very excited, but also terrified, to share with you an example of the writing I have been doing throughout my three years at University. I decided to pick this poem to share because it is a summer poem, and celebrates the many long, languorous holidays I have spent in Cornwall since I was little. 

So anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Enjoy! 


Blessing of the Sea

A cut cross of heather offered 
to the lurching mass. Father’s cassock 
billows, and we watch
the retreat of swollen clouds.

We play the congregation: 
collecting drift wood to fix 
an altar fire, smoking
mackerel on coal for supper.

Too young to know anything,
old enough to prise open limpets 
with a penknife. In rockpool sacristies 
we hunt for mussels

and blenny bloated with salt, 
the crags sticky 
with trails of periwinkles and, at 
the breakwater,

we are a silent moment,
searching for the shore crabs 
on the border of this 

harboured world. 

As always, thank you very much for the continued support and reading my blog - it means the world!

If you would like to see more of my writing, let me know <3

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment