Friday 18 November 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW | 5 Minutes with Hallie Fletcher, author of 'Love, Sex and Death'

Hello readers, and happy Friday! I know I haven't spoken to you in a while, but my week has been absolutely swamped with essays, group projects and a lot of reading! Today, however, I have an author interview of the wonderful self-published book Love, Sex and Death by Hallie Fletcher!

I adored Love, Sex and Death and you can check out my review here. In the meantime, check out Hallie's bio...

Hallie is a young mother living in the North of Manchester. Growing up in Harpurhey and giving birth to her son Cullen at just sixteen years old, she never expected by the age of twenty that she would be a published poet studying a bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature at the University of Manchester. Her successful poem Apple Of My Life was first released in the Portico prize for young writers Anthology and has since been used at events as well as appearing in an opera by Canadian composer Barry Truax. Callie enjoys writing poetry and short stories and is hoping for it to become her full-time career one day.

Check out my interview with Hallie below <3

What inspired you to write Love, Sex and Death?

I have had a hard time this year, it has been quite the rollercoaster for nine years If I am honest. Writing to me is my escape, it always has been, although I never used to share my poetry. Though when I did, more and more people began to give feedback such as, 'I don't usually read, however, I love reading your poems.' I thought it would be a great idea to write a book, as those messages inspired me. I wanted to write a book that people can relate to. A book that non-readers would be interested in reading. I honestly never knew that my poetry helped people until I began posting it online, the feedback I received inspired me to write Love, Sex, And Death.

Describe your writing process for us...

My writing process is a weird one. I don't sleep very well, which is why I usually write my favourite poetry at around 3am. I like to use my typewriter when writing, however, it can be a problem when I need to erase parts. The poetry, prose and stories that I write depend on my mood at the time. I mean sometimes I could be on my way to University on the bus and I will take my phone out of my pocket and put together a quick poem. I suppose I'm rather unpredictable, my work can be rather messy at times as I just write about my emotions and they come and go rather quick.

 How do you balance writing along with working and your university studies?

I have always loved creative writing. I used to make books in reception (my mum has still kept some, which is sweet). I make sure to have time to write, because it is a part of me. I have to have time for it, whether that means I have to stop my essay writing/reading for ten minutes, then that's what I do. The most beautiful part about it is, my son who is five has followed in my footsteps, not only is he a bookworm but he enjoys writing stories and creating little books. 

How far have your personal experiences helped your writing?

There is a quote by Ernest Hemingway which I had tattooed on my leg two years ago. The quote reads: 'There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.' That is what I do, every piece of text in Love, Sex, And Death is a part of myself. Whether that is past experiences or present, I can relate to all of it. I believe that my experiences have helped my writing and my writing, has helped me heal.

What books have inspired you?

There is a beautiful quote in Lyrical Ballads, that I absoloutly love, 'poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility.' ― William Wordsworth. Also, Maus by Art Spiegelman is a book that inspired me to carry on writing, no matter how painful it can be. The raw, powerful, intense feelings throughout Maus is something I will never forget.


Thank you so much Hallie, for appearing on my blog!


Check out Hallie Fletcher's Facebook page here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/Halliefletcherpoetry/

Check out Hallie's website here: http://www.halliefletcher.com

Buy Love, Sex, And Death here: http://www.halliefletcher.com/product/love-sex-death

Until next time :)






4 comments: