Thursday 6 April 2017

DELIGHTFUL KIDS BOOKS | BOOK REVIEW | 'Who Let the Gods Out?' by Maz Evans (****)

Hey guys, and happy Thursday! Today I am very excited to be sharing with you a review of a book I read aagggggeeees ago, but due to the pressures and stress of this semester I never got the chance to write my review!

Today I am going to be reviewing Who Let the Gods Out? by Maz Evans. Who let the Gods Out is a brilliant children's book packed full of adventure, humour and plenty of heart. As soon as I heard about this title I knew I had to read it, and I was lucky enough to be sent a review copy!

Intrigued? Check out the blurb here...







Elliot's mum is ill and his home is under threat, but a shooting star crashes to earth and changes his life forever. The star is Virgo - a young Zodiac goddess on a mission. But the pair accidentally release Thanatos, a wicked death daemon imprisoned beneath Stonehenge, and must then turn to the old Olympian gods for help. After centuries of cushy retirement on earth, are Zeus and his crew up to the task of saving the world - and solving Elliot's problems too?

Who Let the God's Out is one of the best children's books I have read in a while. Packed with jokes for the grown ups, and characters that will stick with you long after the very last page, this is truly a book that people of all ages will enjoy. I love the way that Evans writes; she simply does bring the story and the characters to life. My favourite characters were Elliot, Virgo and Zeus and scenes with them were nothing but absolutely hilarious.

However, there is a lot more to this book than simply the humour. Who Let the Gods Out? also tackles some serious issues - obviously addressed in a way for children to understand - such as Elliot being a young carer. I found the moments between Elliot and his mum really quite upsetting but also heartwarming to read, and this relationship was such a great and important edition to the story. 

Maz Evans does not patronise readers and the novel is not only brilliantly nuanced and smartly written but there are also so many bits to appeal to reluctant readers. From the actual aesthetic of the book (those sprayed edges, oh my) and the superbly sharp illustrations, to the dramatic action and tension, Who Let the Gods Out works as a book to get your child reading, or for reading out loud at bedtime. The book also encourages some extra research into mythology and I can definitely see it inspiring kids to find out more about Zeus and all the other gods!

Overall I think it's pretty clear that I loved Who Let the Gods Out? and would recommend it to readers both young and old! 

Check out the interview I did with Maz Evans on my blog here: https://delightfulbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/maz-evans-blog-tour-q-with-maz-evans.html

Buy Who Let The Gods Out? here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Let-Gods-Out-Evans/dp/1910655414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486385069&sr=8-1&keywords=who+let+the+gods+out

Check out Maz Evans here: http://maz.world

Until next time :)





No comments:

Post a Comment